Tuesday 19 July 2011

Dinner with a hint of Japan

Tonight I was on dinner duties and happily used the freedom to indulge my recent desire for a nice warm noodle dish. I am yet to find a really great noodle place in Brisbane (please let me know if you've got a favourite) and thus my noodle craving has been shelved until now. 

I am a big fan of all things Asian and tonight opted for a Japanese style noodle dish after finding some inspiration on foodie bible taste.com.au. The dish initially called for fish stock, rice vinegar, tamari & caster sugar but I decided to alter the dish by using slightly different flavours - ketjap manis, soy sauce, brown sugar, lime and chilli instead. Making sauces is one of my favourite cooking techniques, so I am often inclined to take the given recipe and add or alter from this foundation. I served the dish with fresh pak choi, carrot, onion, broccoli and some re-hydrated shitake mushrooms in a slightly thickened sauce with some hot soba noodles. Thankfully the dish was well received, even by my painfully picky brother! 


Inspiration Japanese Recipe from Taste: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/4596/japanese+chicken+and+egg

No comments:

Post a Comment